Word Play: I am now a mother bird.

« Home | Introvert » | Mom-Rock and Invites » | why am i so depressed? » | CAR CRASH » | Parties and Paste » | Abortion » | Ghost Towns and Down Days » | Concerts and Balloons » | Scientology » | Redheads Shouldn't Be in the Sun... Ever »

I am now a mother bird.

I have a new goal for my final eight days in Idaho.

Mission: Save motherless baby bird.

So two days ago, I was packing boxes when I heard a dull thud near my window. I looked outside and there was a bird, on her back, struggling for breath. I went outside and kneeled beside it, but it wouldn't move. Within ten minutes it was dead and there was nothing I could do but pick it up (with gloves of course, I don't plan on contracting bird flu any time soon) and giving her the proper bird burial.... via trash can.

With the mama bird deceased, its one remaining baby (the other two got eaten by...something) sat in its nest, hungry and squealing. Every time I went outside, all i could hear was its pitiful call for help, or more accurately, a call for food. Yesterday evening I gave in. I couldn't let that poor baby starve to death. Against the advice of the majority of websites I checked, I decided to feed the chicklet.

Well, I don't have any worms on hand and the idea of regurgitating insects to the bird didn't sound too appetizing, so I used what I had. Armed with bits of smashed banana and a pair of tweezers, I climbed a ladder to the nest and fed the chick some banana. He was so hungry, I don't think he cared much what he ate.

This morning I fed him again. I doubt bananas are quite good for birds, but he survived the night and thats positive, right? He almost looks ready to fly and I believe within a week, his feathers will be grown out enough to allow him to do so. I don't know if he will though, without a mother bird to push him out of the nest.

So, I guess I've taken on the role of mother bird.
I really hope this baby of mine doesn't die.

Question of the Day:
Have you ever interfered with nature in order to help?

~whitney~

you cant contract bird flu from an actual bird, you need another animal to act as a medium...I'm a darwanist - I dont interfere. JK, but I've never done a single good thing to nature before.

I don't like that fact that you accuse me of 'interfering' with an animal. I was no where near it. Just because died wasn't because I dropped my bike on it so don't go accusing people - I'm going to my room now to feel all disapointed in you.

Have you thought about covering yourself in glue and smashing open a pillow onto yourself. It might help with the feeding.

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Contrary to Mr. Soska's comments, not only can you contract bird flu via contact with infected birds but most cases of avian influenza infection in humans have resulted from contact with infected poultry (e.g., domesticated chicken, ducks, and turkeys) or surfaces contaminated with secretion/excretions from infected birds. The spread of avian influenza viruses from one ill person to another has been reported very rarely, and transmission has not been observed to continue beyond one person.

You can get the real facts on avian flu at the CDC. http://www.cdc.gov/flu/avian/gen-info/facts.htm

This is very interesting site... film editing schools

Post a Comment

Links to this post

Create a Link

About me

  • I'm Whitney Davis
  • From Eagle, Idaho, United States
  • I try to see the best in each situation and I believe that happiness is often a choice. I don't like being home and would rather be spending my time with my friends... people I try to choose wisely. I've made many mistakes, but I've learned from each of them, so in retrospect I'm glad I experienced them. Life is a collection of events that has helped me grow as an individual.
My profile

Links

Subscribe to this blog's feed
[What is this?]