Word Play: Going-Away Parties

« Home | I am now a mother bird. » | Introvert » | Mom-Rock and Invites » | why am i so depressed? » | CAR CRASH » | Parties and Paste » | Abortion » | Ghost Towns and Down Days » | Concerts and Balloons » | Scientology »

Going-Away Parties

My going-away party was a success! You have no idea how much that relieved me. The days leading up to the party, I was antisocial and didn't hang out with anyone. I had this intense fear that because of my introverted ways, no one would come to the party. I always feel that if I'm not AT every event, being outgoing and active, then no one will remember me and I'll fall away into obscurity.

Luckily, my fears were not confirmed. About 25-35 people attended the party and we had a nice time. We swam, made human knots (just like elementary school haha), watched Jaws on a projector while we swam... it was enjoyable!

My friend Susan offered to bake a cake, and I took up her offer because I didn't even want to worry about dessert. She never baked one. That was the one disappointment of the evening.

It still doesn't feel like I've said goodbye. I'm down to six days in Idaho and I just want to be in Raleigh already. I'm in this time of limbo and unrest. Most of my belongings are already packed away and I hate living out of a suitcase. Its time to go.

Last night I attended a neighborhood going away party for my family. It would have sucked other than the fact that my next-door neighbor slipped me five margaritas.... so actually, I was doing quite nicely.

Baby bird sort of flew away yesterday. He hopped out of his nest and when I put him back up there, he hopped out again. He could fly about 10 feet at a time and.... I had to just let my baby go. There was nothing more I could do. I have this terrible feeling that a magpie or crow is going to eat him. Poor baby.

Question of the day:
Have you ever thrown a party? Was it a success? (if you thrown multiple parties, share some stories.. don't be shy!)

~whitney~

Not thrown many parties myself. I'm getting married this year and there's going to a good ol' knees up there... does this count?

Sorry you lost your bird. It's because you didn't do the glue and feathers thing...

I didn't really throw a party but when I left England I went out for a night of drinking and clubbing in London with all my friends. then I got way to drunk and ended up sleeping in the 24 hour McDonald's.

I don't think this qualifies as a party but we've done a few 'How to Host a Murder' thingies lately. These are good fun, especially if you are inviting people who don't know each other or who may have trouble breaking the ice, as it gives them a good framework through which to interact.

The downside is that, being a dinner party, it requires quite a bit of preparation. Good fun though.

Where did you find it? Interesting read » »

Post a Comment

Links to this post

Create a Link

About me

  • I'm Whitney Davis
  • From Eagle, Idaho, United States
  • I try to see the best in each situation and I believe that happiness is often a choice. I don't like being home and would rather be spending my time with my friends... people I try to choose wisely. I've made many mistakes, but I've learned from each of them, so in retrospect I'm glad I experienced them. Life is a collection of events that has helped me grow as an individual.
My profile

Links

Subscribe to this blog's feed
[What is this?]