Word Play: Redheads Shouldn't Be in the Sun... Ever

« Home | The Lakehouse and the Future » | Strange Ramblings » | Heavenly Salad » | Acts of Generosity » | James Dean Lived Here » | Planes, Trains, and a Trip to New York City » | Manicures are Materialistic » | New Layout » | Accepting Boredom » | The Normal Plan »

Redheads Shouldn't Be in the Sun... Ever

The problem with being an Irish red-head is that it is impossible to be out in the sun for more than 5 minutes without frying like an egg on the sidewalk (and yes, it is possible to fry an egg on the sidewalk, i've done it). Regardless of whether I wear sunscreen (spf 50, of course) I will still end up beet red. It isn't cute, it isn't comfortable, and after the burn goes away, I'm still a ghostly white.

I've decided that I'm an albino... with normal colored eyes and hair. I've never met anyone lighter than me. I use self-tanner and I'm still whiter than all of my friends.

Now there are some upsides to being unbelievably pale:
A. I glow in the dark at night, so if I were to get lost, it wouldn't be difficult for people to find me.
B. I can resemble a porcelain doll, which is cool... I guess.

I must say there are more downsides than upsides. The largest being that I will probably have skin cancer sometime in my life. My dad, from whom I inherited my coloring, had skin cancer at the age of 20. That leaves some scary odds for me.

Paleness makes bruises stand out and last longer. I know its weird, but I have two bruises that have been there for 2 years. One I got during spring break 2004 when I decided that it would be fun to jump from lawnchair to lawnchair by a pool. Brilliant, I know. The one hitch in this plan, was that a couple of the loungechairs were wet, and I slipped through the slats, bruising my shin pretty terribly. I'm not sure it will ever go away.

The other bruise... wow, I have a lot of embarrassing stories. I was acting in the play Les Miserables in January 2004 and we were rehearsing with new black ramps on the black stage. Well... I kind of forgot about the ramps and as I turned to run off stage, I fell right over one of them and had to be carried offstage. fun.

Aloe Vera is my new best friend. Maybe I should just lock myself inside and never go into the sun again. Did you know that some people are allergic to the sun and can only go outside at night?

So thats all i really have to complain about today.

Love your crisp, lobster-like friend,
~whitney~

I can so relate. I burn really easily, too. I need to use that Waterbabies sunblock if I go in the sun for long periods of time.

I have seen an egg fry on the sidewalk too. It was on some tv show or something.
Nothing wrong with the 'white' look. Some people are so obsessed with tanning and being tanned that their skin can resemble a raisin and its not tan enough for them. Thats even more strange, LOL.
One more downside though, dont get caught in any avalanches. They'll never find you.

Ive never heard of people that are allergic to the sun, but i dont doubt it at all.
One of the weirdest things I think i've heard of is people that cant feel pain. When they are young, the parents have to be so attentive to everything, because the child wouldnt even know if they have broken a bone. I cant remember where it was I saw this. But it was quite amazing in a sad sort of way.

Laters

I've heard of people that are allergic to the sun. I can relate to the burning though I'm a brunette, I burn easily.

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP »

Post a Comment

Links to this post

Create a Link

About me

  • I'm Whitney Davis
  • From Eagle, Idaho, United States
  • I try to see the best in each situation and I believe that happiness is often a choice. I don't like being home and would rather be spending my time with my friends... people I try to choose wisely. I've made many mistakes, but I've learned from each of them, so in retrospect I'm glad I experienced them. Life is a collection of events that has helped me grow as an individual.
My profile

Links

Subscribe to this blog's feed
[What is this?]