Word Play: Acts of Generosity

« Home | James Dean Lived Here » | Planes, Trains, and a Trip to New York City » | Manicures are Materialistic » | New Layout » | Accepting Boredom » | The Normal Plan » | Teens will be Teens » | psuedo-summer » | Ninja Lessons and a Demonic Media Industry » | The Beginning »

Acts of Generosity

I have renewed faith in human kindness.

Around 11:30 at night on Saturday, I was walking back to the hotel from the Times Square Deli and Bakery after I picked up some drinks, muffins, etc for the next morning. I'm allowed to roam New York alone as long as I have my cell phone and I am gone for only a short amount of time. Anyways, my pants had very shallow pockets, and at some point, about $10 fell out of my pocket.

"Excuse me, miss, you dropped some money." I heard a low voice behind me and turned around. There was a homeless man sitting on the stoop of a hotel, pointing to the dropped money. He helped me pick up the money and I gave him a dollar.... though now I sincerely wish I had given him more.

He needed that money, but he didn't steal it. He was kind enough to tell me that I dropped it and helped me pick it up. I feel guilty now that I didn't just give him all of it. I don't need it. He does. Once I got back to the hotel, I was tempted to go out looking for him, to give him more, but I couldn't remember really what he looked like, and it was doubtful I'd find him again.

Isn't it amazing that someone who doesn't even have a home would stop to help a girl who obviously had money and didn't need these ten extra dollars? I think the majority of wealthy men wouldn't have told me that I dropped the money, but would have taken it for themselves.

I hope that from this, I can also learn to be this kind. I need to get my head out of the clouds and see which people are genuine and which are fake. I think that the majority of people I currently know are not of a genuine nature and maybe its good that I'm moving. I can start over and choose people who are kind and generous, regardless of their "popularity status".

I'm now home from New York and I had a marvelous time. The flight back was absolutely hideous (turbulence, delays, everything...ugh) but we made it back. Over the next few days I will share various stories about my adventures but the story above is what really stuck out in my mind.

Dirty, living on the streets, this man had true morals.
People can be kind and helpful, regardless of their situations.
Lets hope I keep this experience in mind and learn from it.

~whitney~

Links to this post

Create a Link

About me

  • I'm Whitney Davis
  • From Eagle, Idaho, United States
  • I try to see the best in each situation and I believe that happiness is often a choice. I don't like being home and would rather be spending my time with my friends... people I try to choose wisely. I've made many mistakes, but I've learned from each of them, so in retrospect I'm glad I experienced them. Life is a collection of events that has helped me grow as an individual.
My profile

Links

Subscribe to this blog's feed
[What is this?]