Word Play: Accepting Boredom

« Home | The Normal Plan » | Teens will be Teens » | psuedo-summer » | Ninja Lessons and a Demonic Media Industry » | The Beginning »

Accepting Boredom

.
So between yesterday and today, according to my scale, I lost five pounds. Wow.
umm.. do I believe that?
I guess I should. Nevertheless, it makes me quite happy. Going at this rate, I should be 115 tomorrow!

Well as I was serving my sentence of being grounded, I came across a passage in "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" and figured I'd share it with you.

Make Peace With Boredom

"I thought the title of this strategy might get your attention! No one likes to be bored, and we live in a time when boredom is often seen as completely unacceptable. Most people can't stand it--even for a moment. Something has to be going on, or turned on, or being planned. There must be some type of stimulus going on every waking moment. We're spending time with someone else on the phone or on the Internet, or we're watching television...

Unfortunately, the only way out of this frenetic maze is to see it as a trap. There is nothing wrong with computers or cell phones, or television or beepers, or game machines or fax machines, or any of the rest of it. Yet if you are dependent on ongoing stimulation, you actually set yourself up to be bored a great deal of the time. Think about it for a moment. What happens to most people you know when there is nothing going on? Anxiety, boredom, or some degree of lack of satisfaction? But the conclusion most people come to is taht the solution is to be sure you never, ever, have nothing going on.

I'm not bashing or blaming technology. I'm only suggesting that when you decide that it's okay if something isn't going on all the time, you train your mind to be more easily satisfied, which always translates into happiness and joy. Very quickly, you'll learn to feel more peaceful. When you're peaceful, you can have fun on a computer, at an amusement park, or while you're all alone, sitting on a bench. You'll be free.

Practice having a little space in between activities. If you can learn to sit still with nothing going on, even for a few minutes at a time, you'll be way ahead of the game. You'll not only become happier, but you'll actually enjoy the things you already spend time doing much more. Youll feel a sense of relief, as if you're off the hook."


I've been forced to slow down the last couple of days. For the last 6 months or so, I've been going, and going, and going (ha.. makes me think of the energizer bunny) and I have refused to slow down. I fell into a depression earlier this year due to some cruel actions of former friends and my version of therapy was to always have something to do so that I wouldn't think about it. This is the first weekend that I have had time. I've caught up on reading, one of my favorite activities that fell to the side, I've begun writing frequently, as you all have observed. And I must say, it has been quite nice.

I need to further become accustomed to peace and solitude without destructive thoughts. Yesterday morning, I was in a TERRIBLE mood. One of the worst moods I'd been in for a long time. I hated myself, and hate is a strong word. I forced myself to get out for my walk and my mood immediately did a 180 degree flip and I was almost manically happy for the remainder of the afternoon. Does this have something to do with boredom? Or maybe I'm just bipolar. Either could be the case. ha.

So, my question to you, Can you be happy with yourself and your environment even when there are no stimuli, nothing to take your mind off of situations?

I'm trying to decide if I truly love myself, or if I've tricked myself into hiding my insecurities not only from the world, but also from myself. This week has left me a lot of time to think.

I needed this.

~whitney~

P.S. JOHN<--- I had to say your name simply because you've been mentioned in all 5 previous posts. keep up the streak!

Cool guestbook, interesting information... Keep it UP
» » »

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! »

Post a Comment

Links to this post

Create a Link

About me

  • I'm Whitney Davis
  • From Eagle, Idaho, United States
  • I try to see the best in each situation and I believe that happiness is often a choice. I don't like being home and would rather be spending my time with my friends... people I try to choose wisely. I've made many mistakes, but I've learned from each of them, so in retrospect I'm glad I experienced them. Life is a collection of events that has helped me grow as an individual.
My profile

Links

Subscribe to this blog's feed
[What is this?]